The Girls Who Code Summer Immersion Program is a 7-week computer science course that embeds classrooms in technology companies and universities. Students learn the fundamentals of computer science - from robotics to how to build a webpage - while gaining exposure to the tech industry and mentorship from women working in technology. Apply Now for the 2016 Summer Immersion Program! Applications are due March 1 at 11:59pm PST.
Key programmatic components of the Girls Who Code Immersion Program include:
- Skills – Seven weeks of intensive instruction in computer science, robotics, algorithms, web design, and mobile development
- Exposure – Speakers, demos, workshops, and presentations from female engineers and entrepreneurs; field trips to technology companies, startups, academic institutions and more
- Mentorship – Top female executives, entrepreneurs and engineers provide career and academic mentorship
The Girls Who Code Summer Immersion Program embeds 20 rising high school juniors and seniors inside a technology company or university setting from 9-4PM each day. Here, young women get hands-on experience in computing concepts, programming fundamentals, mobile phone development, robotics, and web development and design. Project-based curricular modules allow participants to build products and develop innovative solutions designed to inspire an interest in and encourage their pursuit of computer science.
Daily classroom instruction is paired with talks, demos, and workshops led by inspiring female entrepreneurs, CEOs, developers, designers, and computer science majors who serve as mentors and role models throughout the program, each aligned with the subject matter discussed that week. Field trips to the tech giants such as Google, Facebook, Twitter, AT&T, Gilt Groupe, Foursquare, and the News Corp allow the young women to envision a future for themselves in this career and begin networking with those in the field.
The Girls Who Code Summer Immersion Program curriculum is designed and research-proven to engage and encourage young women in computer science. Each topic, activity and speaker is chosen to empower the young women with the skills to contribute to their schools and communities.
Over 10,000 Girls Who Code Alumni!
Summer Immersion Program Outcomes
90% went on to major or minor in CS or closely related field
77% of girls changed paths because of Girls Who Code
92% of program participants taught someone else to code.
- Since 2012, the Summer Immersion Program has grown from 20 girls in one city to reaching nearly 1,200 girls in ten cities across the country in summer 2015
- Girls Who Code alumni are studying computer science at top colleges nationally including: UC Berkeley, Carnegie Mellon, and Stanford, among others!
- Girls Who Code alumni have completed technical internships at top tech companies including: Twitter, Facebook, Microsoft, Google, and many more.
Q: Are there scholarships available?
A: Yes! In addition to providing a free program, we also offer need-based scholarships. Applicants who demonstrate financial need will be considered.
Q: Will Girls Who Code provide housing for the duration of the program?
A: No. As this is a day program, students must commute to and from the program site each day.
Q: Does Girls Who Code cover the costs of my transportation during the summer?
A: Applicants may apply for transportation stipends to cover the cost of travel to and from the program each day. Please note Girls Who Code will not be able to arrange or logistically plan your travel.
Q: I am going to be out of town during the Summer Immersion Program dates. Should I still apply?
A: All program participants must be able to commit to attending the entire 7-week program. We hope you’ll choose to spend your summer with us. It’s worth it!
Q: What are the 2016 Girls Who Code Summer Immersion Programs locations and dates?
A: Girls Who Code currently has summer programs in:
- Atlanta: June 6 – July 22
- Austin: June 27 – August 12
- Boston: June 27 – August 12
- Chicago: June 27 – August 12, July 5 – August 19
- Los Angeles: June 13 – July 29
- Miami: June 20 – August 5
- Newark:July 5 – August 19, July 11 – August 26
- New York City: July 5 – August 19, July 11 – August 26
- San Francisco Bay Area: June 13 – July 29, June 13 – August 5, June 20 – August 5, June 20 – August 12, June 27 – August 12
- Seattle: June 27 – August 12, July 5 – August 19, July 11 – August 26
- Washington DC: June 27 – August 12
Q: Who is eligible to apply for Girls Who Code Summer Immersion Programs?
A: Applicants must:
Be current sophomores or juniors in high school.
Possess a U.S. address.
Commit to attending the full 7-week program in their respective location. The program runs Monday to Friday, 9am to 4pm daily.
Commute to and from program every day. Girls Who Code will work with participants to coordinate transportation as needed. Transportation stipends will be provided to local students who have financial need. Housing and travel considerations for non-local students are not provided.
WE VALUE A DIVERSE CLASSROOM AND STRONGLY ENCOURAGE APPLICATIONS FROM:
- Girls of all ethnic, racial, cultural, and socioeconomic backgrounds. The programs are free for all participants. Transportation stipends will be made available for students with limited financial resources.
Q: How do I apply to attend a Summer Immersion Program?
A: The application for the 2016 Summer Immersion Program is NOW OPEN! Applications are due March 1 at 11:59 pm PST
Q: What if I only want to receive email updates about the Summer Immersion Program?
A: Sign up for our Interest Form and we’ll add you to our emailing list!